Formm works to educate underprivileged communities worldwide through innovative design and construction.
By using design and construction as tools to proliferate opportunities for learning and to advance education, we can strengthen communities, alleviate poverty, and transform lives for the better.
Through the creation of highly contextualized solutions we wield a powerful tool for affecting social change and empowering people by involving communities in the design and build process.
1. We begin each project with a period of in depth research into the physical and social climates of the region we are working in. Throughout this period we coordinate with the partnering organization and community about project and design goals. Lastly, we establish our in-country architects and contractors.
2. Next, we begin the design process with the partnering organization and community. The design process will vary from project to project, but throughout the process we work to educate the community about basic design principles that include passive cooling and heating, water collection and reutilization, sanitation, and spatial programming.
3. After the design is complete we work with our in-country architects and contractors to create a set of construction documents and a construction timeline. By working with local businesses we are able to contribute to the local economy and collaborate on design and build processes through the exchange of knowledge, as well.
4. During the construction process we bring the community together to help construct the buildings. To break gender barriers, we expect women and men in equal numbers to help perform the work alongside one another. Throughout the construction process the community learns invaluable skills that they can then apply on their own.
5. Lastly, we maintain our relationship with the partnering organization and the community to perform a long term evaluation of the project impact and to provide any needed continued services.
Research & Programming